Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Triple A - I Love You!


It was supposed to be a quick trip to the local yarn shop to pick up some more skeins of yarn to finish my shawl.  That part went smoothly.  On my way out of town (and on to my next stop), I had stopped for a red light and as I pulled away, I heard a BAD noise coming from the area of my tires.  I know enough that I knew it didn't sound like I should keep driving.  Luckily, there was a little strip mall close by the intersection so I pulled into that parking lot.

I hopped out of the car as soon as I had parked and sure enough, one of my tires was flat as a pancake.  Ugh!  How did that happen?  Luckily, we have AAA Plus and have had this service for years.  Believe me, it more than pays for itself in times like this.  I first called the Commander.  Not real sure what I hoped to accomplish by doing that except to get a little sympathy.  He told me to call AAA.  I hung up on him.  So I called AAA and they said they could get a service truck out there within 45 minutes.

It was at least 92 degrees outside and not a cloud in sight.  Luckily there was a nice BBQ place in that little mall so I nipped inside for a quick bite of lunch and some A/C while I waited.  But lunch only lasts so long so soon I was outside again in the sweltering heat trying to wind my yarn into balls when the Commander pulled up.  Guess he decided he'd better come over and give me a hug as a sign of solidarity.  I DIDN'T hang up on him this time and I definitely appreciated the gesture.  Soon the service guy showed up and he didn't waste any time changing my tire.


Both he and the Commander looked at the tire but couldn't see any sign of damage.   However, I drove on my spare over to the tire shop and dropped off my flat for them to inspect and hopefully repair.  Then I drove myself on home.  Now I'm trying to cool off.  Winding wool in 90 degree temps in full sun will do that to a person.  I'm sure the mechanic is hotter than I am, though.  Thank goodness he did the tire-changing.  I would still be out there reading the manual, if it had been up to me.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

I agree about the worth of AAA (our version is called AMA) I've used them MANY times in a pinch - especially since my man is most often not close enough by to come and give me a hug. :)

However, I am having a problem relating to the whole being hot thing. (unfortunately)