Friday, March 25, 2011

In the Grip of a Good Gripe


It's Friday and it's definitely been awhile since I've posted any Friday Fave Fives for everyone.  Well, since I've been "enjoying" a cold this past week, my mood has been less than sunny.  Therefore, I've decided to give you a list of five pet peeves of mine to go along with my grumpy mood.

Who in the world invented 3/4 length sleeves?
1.  I do not like 3/4 length sleeves.  In my opinion, these are the most worthless things ever invented in the clothing industry, with the possible exception of the thong underpants and bikinis.  Maybe if I lived in a year-round warm climate, they might be ok, but in winter, they do NOT cover enough to keep a person warm.  Yet, the 3/4 length sleeve is being sold on just about everything up here during the winter months.  I even have a winter coat that has 3/4 length sleeves.  Except for the fact that it is a gorgeous chocolate brown Dr. Zhivago style fake-fur trimmed wool coat, I would have dumped the bugger long ago.  And have you ever tried to put on a sweater over these sleeves?  The sleeves aren't long enough for you to grasp them with your hand while you pull on the sweater with your other hand so you end up with the sleeve halfway up to your armpit once you have the sweater on.  Then you have to go fishing to try to retrieve it back to where it belongs.  Ugh!

2.  Trying to fold fitted sheets - Has anyone ever mastered the art of folding fitted sheets by themselves?  If you have, I'd love to know the trick.  I've tried different methods over the years but all I've ended up with is a puffy lump of sheet that clogs my linen closet.  Inevitably I just go find my hubby and have him help me while the inner child in me is screaming, "I can do it myself!"

That CAN'T be!
3.  Diet weigh-ins on Mondays.  Why in the world does my diet group have to weigh in on a Monday evening?  It's cruel and unusual punishment.  Everyone knows that social functions which involve eating occur on Fridays and Saturdays and then on Sundays, most folks go out to eat after church.  That doesn't give ANY time for the "miracle of the disappearing pounds" to occur.  You need at least 5 days for that to happen.

28 degrees?  It's March, for Pete's sake!
4.  Winters that don't know when to say "goodbye."  March is almost over here in Pennsylvania and yet the cold temperatures are still hanging on.  This weekend we are only going to get up into the 40's and down in the 20's at night.  They are even calling for some possible snow flurries to show up tomorrow.  Bah, humbug!  Winter, you have overstayed your welcome.


5.  The crazy way TV shows are scheduling their seasons this year.  I am finding myself alternating between totally confused and totally annoyed with some of my favorite shows.  It used to be that a show would start its season in the fall and then continue through to mid-to late spring.  Then it would go on hiatus until the following fall.  Now I've got shows that start up and run for 3 or 4 episodes and then stop for 2 or 3 months.  Then they start up again and run a few more episodes and then go off the air for a month, and so it goes.  There are mid-season premieres and fall hiatus and some shows are starting back up in June and my Dr. Who is starting back in April.  I need a personal secretary to keep them all straight.  To make matters worse, in this age of global communication, some British fans of a show I watch that just finished up Season 3 over there but is only in Episode 3 of Season 3 over here, (are you totally confused yet?) just spilled the beans on the ending of the Season which had a major shocker.  They did this on a public forum that I belong to with fans from both sides of the pond.  So now, I'm bummed and I haven't even gotten to the halfway part of the season yet.  But not all hope is lost.  I'm also watching the American version of the show which just started its first season.  Here's hoping that they write a different arc.

I could go on but you know, I'm feeling sunnier now that I've got those gripes off my chest.  I think I'll throw the sheets in the dryer, turn off the TV, manhandle a sweater on over these 3/4 length sleeves, bundle up in some goose down, and head over to my local yarn shop while trying to avoid the bakery on the way. 

If you'd like to participate in Friday's Fave Five posts yourself, visit Suzanne's site at Living to Tell the Story to read how you can post your own Fave Fives.

9 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

I absolutely LOVE all your pictures. What a fun FFF! And I agree with all your pet-peeves too. :-)

Have a great weekend!

Barbara H. said...

Your five peeves made me smile. :-) I've been in those moods, too, and sometimes it's just nice to vent a little.

I do disagree about 3/4 sleeves -- I like them. In the winter I wear a lot of knit shirts with long sleeves that I am constantly pushing up so I don't get them wet or messy when cooking or washing, but they tend to slither down, so 3/4 sleeves are perfect for me.

I think I have seen tutorials on YouTube about folding fitted sheets. I don't fuss with it too much -- I just fold everything inside.

I do agree about TV programming. I much prefer when a program runs straight through rather than showing reruns in the middle of the season.

Hope you're feeling better!

Carrie said...

=D I snickered through your very engaging post! I'm sorry you have been, uh, "enjoying" this cold so much but it sounds as if you have retained your sense of humor!

Hope your weekend is relaxing and restful!

Willow said...

I'm laughing over here at both your photos and your peeves. I'm so with you on both the 3/4 length sleeves and the TV episodes frustration. Being NCIS, Criminal Minds and Bones fans, we never know if we're going to see a rerun or a new episode. :(
Even the knitters are featuring 3/4 length sleeves. I finally gave up on the Minimalist Cardi (interweave knits) and gave it to a friend who liked those dratted sleeves.
Are you feeling better now that you've vented? LOL

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Oh my...this made me smile so!! Love the pictures and how airing your gripes left you in a sunnier mood!

Here in Florida (I know, that's a dirty word there), we LOVE 3/4 length sleeves. Hope the weatherman is wrong about your weekend. Take care.

Brenda said...

I usually don't like grumpy posts but this one was really funny and I have to agree with at least one, the fitted sheets, somehow I never learned to fold those right either!

Susanne said...

LOL. You crack me right up. Thanks for chasing my grumpy away. If it makes you feel better and not alone, we had snow 3 days this week and more predicted on the weekend. And I don't know how to fold those sheets worth a darn either.

Karyn said...

Oh Dee....you never fail to brighten my day! Even when you are 'grumpy'.

Who ever said you had to fold a fitted sheet by yourself? They are meant to be shared, I'm sure.

I agree with you on Winter overstaying his welcome! We still have 3 - 4 feet of snow all over the yard and the road is drifted in, making it impossible for a car to get through.

Catherine said...

Than you so much for this fun post, and all of the great pictures!! the only good thing about 3/4 sleeves is that little people like me don't have to cuff up the ends of them. I'm in NY, and I'm definitely ready to give winter the boot, too! (and that lying little groundhog!!)