Tuesday, March 01, 2011

My Hourglass is Leaking


I was blocking out my Single Stranded Tunic today and as I worked on it, I was thinking about a conversation that occurred last evening.  I was at a Missions meeting at church and passing the time before the meeting started by talking with friends.  We were catching up on the news about a mutual friend.  The conversation had turned to her daughter and I asked my friend how old the daughter would be now.  It had been awhile since I'd last seen the girl.

"She's 46," my friend replied.

FORTY-SIX!  Are you kidding me?  The last time I'd talked with the "child,"  she'd been in high school and I'd been advising her on joining the Army.  It couldn't have been more than ten years ago.  When did she get to be so old?  And where have I been during all this time?  Have I been in some weird time warp......a coma.....lost in space?


It was enough to make me tug a little harder at the sweater pieces as I pinned them to the sunroom carpet.  I didn't want to obsess about the passing of time but my goodness, it did seem to be going by faster and faster.

Just this morning I'd gone through the house pulling "February's" page off of all my calendars.  As I did that, I could see the old news reels in my mind where the calendar pages are ripped off page after page in fast motion and the years go whizzing across the big screen and then fade off into the distance.


I went to visit my mum later today at the nursing home and read some more from a book that we're reading together.  When the call to lunch came over the loudspeaker, I told her, "When I come back this week, we'll read the next chapter which is entitled 'Halloween.'"

"Halloween?" she said.  "Is it that time already?"

"Yup," I replied.  "It's just around the corner."

And the way time is flying, I'm not wrong.  In fact, I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for specials on bagged candy.  It's not too early to start stocking up, I'm thinking.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Great post....I totally relate.