Thursday, March 31, 2011

Knitting for the Sci-Fi Geek

Jayne Cobb Hat

If you're a fan of the Sci-Fi series "Firefly", than you will no doubt recognize this hat.  It was worn by the character Jayne Cobb in one of the episodes.  His "ma" had knit it for him to keep him warm in space.

One of the other characters on the show says this line, as he observes Cobb wearing the hat:
"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."  It's one of my favorite quotes.  You've got to be comfortable in your own skin to wear a hat like that.

"Firefly" Geek
So why would a middle-aged woman knit a hat like this AND wear it?  Why not, I say?  Actually, it's nice and comfy and warm.  It's a fun hat.  And it firmly identifies me as someone who loves the show, "Firefly."  It's a tribal thing.  You wear this hat out in public and it's like wearing a Roethlisberger jersey in Pennsylvania.  There's no mistaking what group you are affiliated with.

Yes, I'm saying it loud and I'm saying it proud.  I am a Sci-Fi Nerd...a geek with her feet on Planet Earth and her head in the stars.  I used to know a few songs in the language of Middle-Earth and I once wanted to learn Klingon.  And I still get a kick out of playing make-believe.  Want to join me?

1 comment:

Karyn said...

that hat absolutely makes a statement...."I'm a person who loves life and isn't afraid of who I am"

I think you look very cute in it