Saturday, March 17, 2012

Curing the Winter Blues


You would not believe how glad I am that Spring is just around the corner here in my little neck of the woods.  I'm one of those people that has SAD, also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder.  It makes you feel rather down in the dumps when the days are short and sunlight is scarce.  In my own experience, I almost feel like I'm going into hibernation.  I avoid going out unless I absolutely have to.  I don't have a lot of energy.  I feel morose and find myself thinking things like "No wonder the Icelandic people wrote such violent sagas.  That's what cold and living in darkness for months at a time will do to you."


 However, once the days start to lengthen and the sun is out more and more, I can feel myself opening up like a morning glory basking in the early morning sunlight.  I feel almost giddy.

If you're a SAD sufferer, I wish you could have a day like I'm having.  It doesn't get much better than driving through the suburbs or countryside, temps in the 70's,  looking at the flowers and the trees budding, with the car windows down and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Call Me the Breeze" blasting from my stereo.  The only thing that's keeping me from hugging perfect strangers is my seatbelt.  Happy St. Patrick's Day!


2 comments:

sunware said...

Thanks 4 sharing, i believe i have the same thing, recently feeling like i'm starting to awaken from a very deep slumber. while the almost forgotten feeling of Life slowly trickles inside once more.. :)

Karyn said...

I don't have SADD, but I also feel more energetic and happier when the sun stays up past 5 pm and the evenings are longer. Right now, the sun is still up at about 8:30 pm and I'm LOVING IT! I love watching the days get l-o-n-g-e-r.