Thursday, October 18, 2012

New Pups and Feelings of Disloyalty


I wonder if other folks who get a new puppy after a beloved dog passes away go through a period where they feel rather disloyal to their deceased dog?  Our Fresca the Wonder Dog passed away in the Spring and Auggie joined our home this pass week.  Call me crazy but I've been on an emotional roller coaster for several days as different little things that Auggie does remind me of Fresca and then I'm hit with waves of sadness as I think of how much I miss my "girl."

Perhaps I should chalk it up to "new puppy mom hormones."  Or maybe it's just all part of the grieving process that pet owners go through who chose to add another animal to their home.  Here's an example.


One of Fresca's favorite toys was this stuffed cow that "moo's."  It is the only thing of hers that I kept after she passed away.


Auggie loves this toy.  He bounces around the living room with it, attacking its ears and horns and happily chomping on its belly.


Auggie has VERY sharp puppy teeth.  I suspect Fresca's cow won't last long if Auggie continues at the pace he has been going with this toy.


So I have a confession to make.  I can't bear the thought of that toy being ripped to shreds.  It's my last physical link to Fresca.  I swiped it from Auggie when he was distracted with another toy and I'm going to put it up where he can't get it.  I still need to be able to give the cow a quick hug on the days when I'm particularly missing my Wonder Dog.

It's been a day of "firsts" for Auggie.  He had his first nail trim and did pretty darn well.  He got his first dog license.  Although, when the clerk asked me if I'd ever registered another dog with the township, I found myself telling her about Fresca and how she had passed away and I almost found myself crying at the counter.  Sheesh.....get a grip!


Auggie also had his first "play date" with his sister, Kinzie and Kinzie's big sister, Sadie.  Wow, Kinzie is no longer acting like a little princess.  She was getting the best of Auggie for the first half of their play date and then the tides turned.  Suddenly Auggie had her number figured out and was a lot more successful in pinning her down and knocking her over.

I'll leave you with this picture of Auggie and I sleeping last night after our show finished up on TV.  The sneaky Commander snapped it while we slept.  We seem to have similar expressions.  Oy!

2 comments:

kristieinbc said...

I think you were very smart to reclaim that stuffed cow toy. Auggie would have made mincemeat of it in no time. You can always buy him more toys, but you can't replace that one.

I think part of your feelings might be due to lack of sleep. It is exhausting when these little bundles of energy first enter our homes, and especially when we you are getting up in the night to take him to the bathroom. Take care of yourself!

Karyn said...

I'd keep the toy cow, too. Fresca was an important part of your life - you need to have something that ties you to her, physically.

I can tell you love your little Auggie with all your heart, missing Fresca doesn't change that.

I'm watching with interest to see how long it takes to get that little fur ball to be polite when it comes to potty time, at least.