Friday, July 30, 2010

An Older and Wiser Friday Fave Five

Well, "older" maybe but certainly not wiser.  Got your attention though, didn't I?  Wish I could say that since my birthday yesterday I was suddenly a highly enlightened, wondrously wise woman but alas, I'm still just me.  Thank goodness that God loves me anyway and isn't finished with me yet, as that children's song goes.  So let's take a look back at my week, shall we?  Not too surprisingly, my Fave Five will be centered around being a "birthday kid."

1.  My birthday started out with a good chuckle when I opened this card from my sister-in-law.  I don't know where she finds such gems but I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of it.  Here's what it said inside the card:


2.  Speaking of my sister-in-law, I got another laugh when she texted me to remember to open her birthday present.  You see, I had brought back two gifts with me when I returned from Michigan.  However, I had thought that both gifts were for my hubby for HIS birthday.  Somehow, the card on the one box had fallen off in my car and went partly under the driver's seat.  So on the Commander's birthday, he had opened the first gift from Rose and we admired the shirt and tie.  Then I gave him the second box and remarked to him, "Say, if you don't want that luggage tag, I'll take it."  Rose had tied a lovely apple green luggage tag to the ribbon and that's one of my favorite colors.  Well, the Commander said he'd think about it.  He opened the box and then there was silence as he looked at the contents.  He looked up at me and said, "Umm, I don't think this is for me."

I peeked inside and there sat a lovely apple green purse.  Yup, I realized that the box was probably MY birthday present.  So we closed the box up and it had been sitting in our spare bedroom waiting for yesterday.  Several weeks after the Commander's birthday, I noticed something white jutting out from under my driver's seat in the car.  When I pulled it out, I saw that it was a card addressed to me.  Mystery solved!  That's why we hadn't realized that the second box was my gift.

 
3.  Skyping with Jason, Laura, and Mika - The phone rang early Thursday morning and it was my family in Indonesia.  It was so nice to be able to chat with them and see how Mika continues to grow.  She has become quite the wiggleworm.  I wonder how long it will be before she starts to "locomote" herself around?  She's a little over 7 months old now.    Gosh, I just ache to give her a hug.



 4.  We celebrated my birthday at a great Thai restaurant.  I ordered Singapore noodles with chicken and wow, was it ever good.  I decided that I'd try something different besides Pad Thai and I'm glad that I ventured into new territory.  Yummy!



5.  A special bead for my Pandora bracelet - The Commander gave me this little bead to add to my Pandora bracelet.  I think it is a lovely addition.  I think he is so relieved that I have this bracelet because now he doesn't have to wonder what to get me on special occasions.  He can always get me another bead to add to my bracelet.  Men!  You gotta love 'em.


If you'd like to join us in listing your Fave Fives for this Friday, visit Susanne's blog at Living to Tell the Story.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Sounds like you had a good BD week! I love Thai food and eat it when I can.

When you can't be physically present with your family, skyping is the next best thing. We have used it a lot.

Jientje said...

Happy Birthday!!
I loved the story about the birthday presents, and that card made me chuckle too! Too funny and oh so true!

Karyn said...

That card is hilarious!

Lovely purse. Your sister obviously knows you well.

What is a pandora bracelet? I mean, it is obviously something similar to the old 'charm bracelets' but can you do a post about your bracelet? I'd like to see it.

Susanne said...

Happy, happy birthday to you! Looks like you had a wonderful week celebrating. Your sister's card card cracked me right up. I'm glad you shared that. So funny.

Great purse your sister picked for you. Love the color! And your birthday dinner looks yummy. I've never had Pad Thai so that would be an adventure for me.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Love the purse! And the photo and card were hilarious.

Sounds like you had a great week. Hope there's another great one in store for you.

Cindy said...

Too funny, the card is a hooot

Nice birthday present. Happy Birthday

I'm not familial with a Pandora bracelet, can anyone fill me in?

Willow said...

Happy Birthday to you! I just don't know though, you went out on a limb and didn't order pad thai. (Can we still be friends if you prefer something over my favorite pad thai?) The green purse is perfect :)

I've been skyping quite a bit too and love seeing my New Boy mug for the camera.