Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Parallel Universe?


Last weekend our daughter and her husband were up visiting.  While they were here, they made a side trip to visit my mom.  When they returned, I asked Laura how the visit went with her grandmother.

"It was fine," she replied.  "We had a nice visit."

"Did she recognize you?" I asked.

"Sure," she answered.  "And she remembered Jason, too."

So when I went to visit with Mom this week I said, "Mom, I hear you had some company over the weekend."

Her face lit up.  "Sure did," she said.  "Norma Fay came to visit."

Now Norma Fay is my mom's cousin and Norma is probably in her early 80's.

"She did?" I said.  "Are you sure it wasn't Laura?"

Mom thought for a minute.  "No, " she said.  "It was Norma Fay."

I decided to go with the flow.  "Well did she happen to say anything about her brother, Rome?  I haven't heard from him in awhile," I asked Mom.

"No, I don't believe she did," Mom replied.

Well, I had to chuckle about this when I got home and relayed it to the Commander.  To think that our Laura was mistaken for my mom's cousin.  I joked with Laura that maybe she should invest in some new skin cream.

So now, two days later I went to visit Mom again.  I asked her if she had any news.  She said, "Well, I had some company this past weekend."

"Oh," I said.  "Was it Norma Fay?"


She looked at me like I was nuts.  "No," she said.  "It was Laura."

Oh boy!  Sometimes I feel like I've fallen down the rabbit hole or gone through the looking glass and entered a parallel universe.  I'm never too sure what the facts are going to be on any given day with Mom.  One thing's for sure though.  She keeps me on my toes.

No comments: