Monday, December 27, 2010

Baby Bowling


Have you wondered what we do for entertainment here with a toddler and no Nickelodeon TV or public libraries or playgrounds nearby?  Well, we go "baby bowling."  Actually, a person becomes quite adept at making up their own entertainment.



One of the things that Mika enjoys is actually her own version of "baby bowling."  Every day the staff brings bottled water over for each of us so we end up with empty water bottles daily.  Usually we boil water and refill the empty bottles and them put them in the refrigerator so that we'll have extra water available.  However, we also like to keep some empties around so that we can set them up on the floor for Mika to plow into.  She LOVES to kick them over.  We call it "baby bowling."


Lina likes to sit by the pool and sometimes I join her with my Kindle in hand.  I'm not much of a sunbather, though so I usually give up pretty quickly and head back to the apartment.  Jason likes to sit and read non-fiction back in the unit.  Laura likes to read, too when she doesn't have her hands full with Mika.  We all take turns with Mika, trying to give Laura a bit of a break but when she gets to a certain level of fussiness, only "Mom" will do.

Jason, Lina, and I have laptops here so I guess you could say that they are a form of entertainment.  Actually, in the evenings a laptop IS our form of entertainment.  Jason and Lina brought DVDs with them and we pick out one to watch and then put it on the computer.  We all gather on the couch and watch a movie that way.
We brought books for Mika from home and take turns reading them to Mika.  When she tires of that, we take turns walking her around and around inside the apartment.  She enjoys this immensely.  Yesterday, at breakfast, I discovered how much she enjoys being walked up and down stairs.  Whew!  Now THAT is a good cardio-vascular workout.


Crocheting, reading and sudoku on the Kindle, and people-watching kind of rounds out the entertainment for me.  Oh, and let's not forget the other form of entertainment.....watching it rain in the afternoons or evening since it IS the rainy season in this part of the world.


I'm not going to know what to do when I get back to the States and my hundreds of TV channels.  Well, actually I DO know what I'll be doing.  I'll be catching up on all my favorite shows that the Commander has been recording for me AND I'm going to be knitting up a storm AND I'm going to be spinning.  Until than, I think I'll go grab my Kindle and start a new book.

3 comments:

John said...

Let's not forget worshiping the snow and shoveling it! It is a whopping 23 degrees here in Detroit! We have not been above freezing since before December 12. The snow and ice on our driveway has been there since then. On Friday they are predicting temps to go up to around 40. Finally; Spring is here...not!

John said...

One more thing; What you are gaining is a lifetime of memories in just over 30 days. It is so fun reading about your adventures and seeing a few of the pictures. It's great!

Karyn said...

entertainment is what you make it. Sounds like you have plenty of distractions. Love the 'baby bowling' game! Bet Mika does, too.