Sunday, December 26, 2010

Pop Geography Quiz


OK, here's a little pop quiz for you.  First of all, where is Lombok?  I'll give you a clue.  It's an Indonesian island.  Of course, before you get too excited I'd best point out that there are over 17,000  islands that comprise the country of Indonesia.  But Lombok is one of the larger islands so you should be able to find it on a map.

Holiday Resorts, where we are staying, is located right outside the town of Sengiggi.  Can you locate that town on the island of Lombok?  If you were successful, can you tell me what ocean or sea we are enjoying the view of right now?  Don't feel too bad if you have to do a little more research.  We all took a guess and came up with 3 answers between us, none of which were the correct answers so we had to do a little more research and now we know the correct answer.  I'll reveal that answer to you at the end of this post.

Lombok is best known for its pottery and for Mt. Rinjani, the second highest peak in Indonesia.  They also have several centers where ikat weaving is practiced and I'd sure love to see some of that.

There are a little over 3 million people living on the island of Lombok.  While they are all considered to be Indonesian citizens, the main people group that they identify themselves with is Sasak (about 85%), which were thought to have originated in Java.  Approximately 29% of the population is considered to be living at the poverty level. 

That's your pop quiz for today.  Tomorrow I'll tell you about some of the things we've been doing to amuse ourselves here in Lombok with a toddler in tow. Oh, and the name of the sea in the picture and the one we've been enjoying here at the resort is the Bali Sea.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Interesting - and you made me look it up! I've been vaguely thinking of Indonesia as being farther south than it is. I'm glad you asked the question about the sea - I'm competitive enough to go find the answer for myself! Were any of you right about which sea you were looking at?