Monday, January 24, 2011

Hanging on to Christmas


It was a strange Christmas this year with me on one side of the world with part of my family and the Commander and the rest of my family back on the other side of the world.  I wasn't even around to put up any Christmas decorations.  So I can't really be faulted for wanting to enjoy the few decorations that my hubby put up in my absence just a little bit longer, right?

OK, it DID strike me as I went out today to get the mail out of the mailbox that maybe our house is more the exception than the rule here in our neighborhood.  I didn't really notice any others nearby that still had Christmas trees in the front yard and one in the window.  But I think it gives things a rather festive air, don't you?


The Commander even put the front yard decorations on a timer this year and it's nice to come out into the living room at dusk and see the little trees lit up when I look out the window.  We're still getting snow so it's not like they're crowding out the tulips and crocuses.

The indoor Christmas tree is small and takes up hardly any space at all.  I like to snuggle up on the couch with the dog, turn on the gas fireplace and then ponder a spell while I enjoy my little tree.  I'll probably have to take it down soon though, because I'm hosting a women's luncheon next week and I'll need the space to fit all the women in the room.

So I'm just going to indulge myself one more week while I hang onto Christmas a bit longer.  I'll finish up the Christmas newsletter, too, drink a cup of seasonally-flavored coffee, and play some carols on the piano.  I'll get a little maudlin thinking of Christmases that have come and gone and then it will be time to start dreaming of Spring.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I'm ashamed to say my tree is up. I did undecorate it. But haven't disassembled yet. Poinsettias still outside too but they are frozen into place. Coming back later than planned and traveling so much this month is bad for taking down decorations!

Karyn said...

Most people enjoy their Christmas tree and decorations for over a month, so you still have plenty of time to sit in the firelight and enjoy your little tree.

Cindy said...

Why not just keep it for a week longer. I just took mine down and I'm missing it.