Thursday, January 27, 2011

Inside Winter's Snowglobe


We had another winter storm yesterday and it came in two parts.  The first part deposited a few inches during the first half of the day and the second part came in around the evening rush hour and continued until around 10 p.m.  It was a gentle, wet snow that covered the tree branches with a lacy network of flakes, making the trees look like they'd been sprayed with some of that fake "flocking" stuff that people sometimes spray on Christmas trees.  It reminded me of that scene from "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" when the children first step out of the wardrobe into Narnia and into a snowy landscape. However, no Mr. Tumnus stepped out to greet me.


The Commander and I had been downstairs watching a show on TV but when we came up and peeked out the window, it was so lovely that I knew I had to come out and take some pictures.


It was a magical time.  Most of the neighbors were either in bed or getting ready for bed since it was 11 p.m. but there were still a few lights on in front yards and in the homes in our neighborhood.  The snow had stopped falling and it was very still outside.  I couldn't hear a single car or dog or snowplow disturbing the peace.


The Commander had planned to do a quick pass with the snowblower but when he looked around and noticed that no one else was out clearing their driveways or sidewalks, he decided that he'd not be the one to disturb the peace of the moment.  He'd just wait until the morning.


Alas, when the morning dawned, the neighborhood still looked pretty but it no longer had that magical quality about it.  I felt a bit like the Pevensie children when they had to go back through the wardrobe and return to England.  I can't help but hope that this winter will hold another magical moment or two before it releases its grip and Spring comes knocking.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

Your photos and description make me almost appreciate snow. :)

Cindy said...

What a wonderful winter-land you have going. I have to agree the magic is in the night and I felt it leave when I saw the daytime photo shot. Thank you for taking me through your magic moment.