Thursday, June 30, 2011

Now THAT'S a Cup of Coffee!

Coffee Extract
When I last posted, I was in the midst of the great cold brewing coffee experiment.  Well, I finished cold brewing a batch of coffee and ended up with a carafe of pure coffee extract.  That's it in the carafe in the picture. Once you get the extract, you store that in your refrigerator and it will stay fresh for several weeks as long as it is refrigerated. 

Then it was time for the taste test.  The formula is 1 part extract to 3 parts water.  You mathematicians will have to do the figuring yourselves.  I basically used my Keurig to brew my standard travel-mug of hot water into a measuring cup.  It came out to a little over 1 cup.  So I poured 1/3 cup of extract into my mug and then put the mug in place on my Keurig and brewed straight hot water into it.  I "think" that is a 1 to 3 ratio but math has never been one of my strong suits.  Over the past few days I've tinkered a bit with it and use just a tad over 1/3 cup extract but nothing else has changed.  I don't use sugar or cream in my coffee (harkens back to my Navy days - we like our coffee strong and black).

I'm here to tell you that this is some of the best coffee I've ever had.  To sum it up in one word, I'd have to say "smooth."  There is no aftertaste at all.  It just goes down the old gullet like I would imagine cream would to a non-lactose intolerant person.  Yummy!

I'm not sure how many cups I'll get out of 12 ounces of cold-brewed coffee but since I can nurse one travel mug all morning, I suspect this carafe of extract will last me most of the two weeks.  So far I haven't shared it with the Commander but I'll let him in on my little secret over the holiday weekend.

If you'd like some idea of the various coffee beverages you can enjoy with cold-brewed coffee extract, visit ToddyCafe.com then hie thee over to your online order company of choice, order, and start doing your own cold coffee brewing.

1 comment:

artsyfish said...

I made this once in my french press coffee maker. Maybe this is why it didn't sell in the garage sale! I think I'll try again!

Joanne