Friday, June 24, 2011

A Week of Blessings

It's Friday and it's been far too long since I last did a Fave Five post.  Time has a way of slipping past and so do good intentions.  But today I shall actually have the time and the inclination to list five wonderful blessings from this past week.


1.  Special computer glasses - After my recent visit to the ophthalmologist, I decided to order a special pair of lenses for working on the computer.  My new eyeglasses have magnetic sunglasses that come with the frames.  The eye doctor suggested ordering an extra set of the sunglass frames and having special lens inserted into that frame (instead of the sunglass lens) that would give me just what I need to see the computer without having to tilt my head back.  It is the slickest arrangement.


Now, when I'm sitting in front of the computer, I just take the little sunglass frame and hold it up to my regular glasses and (pop) the magnets engage and the computer reading lens frame snaps right onto my regular glasses.  The picture above is me with the computer lenses attached.  You can't even tell the difference.  I am also finding these perfect for playing the piano, something I had almost given up in recent years because I could no longer see the music  clearly.


2.  New Fiber to Spin - I have some nice Masham to spin up in a colorway called "Emerald City", referring to the Wizard of Oz.  I've never spun Masham before but it is a very long fiber and it is always fun to try something new.


3.  Family Picnic Day with Mom - the Commander and I got to spend a lovely day with Mom at the annual Family Picnic at Mom's nursing home.  As a funny aside, one of the nurses told me recently that Mom's former roommate (who had always been very verbally abusive - swearing and yelling at almost everyone) had hated Mom because the lady thought Mom was trying to steal a male nurse away from her.  Apparently the roommate thought this male nurse was married to her and Mom was brazenly trying to steal him from her.  Gee, who would have thought that my mom was such a hussy at age 97?  Thank goodness that Mom was able to change rooms and now has a very sweet lady as a roommate.


4.  An understanding dermatologist - I had to have a fairly big mole removed this week from a sensitive area.  It was my first time ever having a mole removed and I was terrified.  Thankfully, my dermatologist was very understanding and prescribed Valium and a numbing cream just to get me in the door.  Then she was very patient with me through the whole procedure, even bringing in her own iPod and hooking it up to play soothing music.  Thank goodness that is over with.  Now I'm just praying that the results will come back as benign.


5.  Celebrating 32 years of marriage - Hard to believe that it has been 32 years since the Commander and I exchanged vows on the base in Nea Makri, Greece.  It is indeed a cause for celebration because I couldn't have picked a better husband.  We are as different as night and day but I think that is part of what has kept us together....that, and our faith in God and our commitment to each other.


I was also blessed to come across the slides of our wedding and honeymoon in Scotland and England.  This picture was taken in the Highlands of Scotland.  Pictures have such a wonderful way of bringing memories flooding back.  I guess that's why I put so much effort into taking them and preserving them.

So what have been the highlights of your week?  Why not go over to Living to Tell the Story, where you can find out the details on how you can join in the "Fave Five" blogging fun?

4 comments:

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

Hello Dee, it is fun to have you join us in FFF. The fiber looks absolutely gorgeous. What will you do with it once it's spun? Decades ago I took a drop spindle course. Some day I hope to actually try spinning on a wheel.

32 years is indeed something to celebrate! I've been to Scotland and England (both soooo lovely) but never to Greece. I hope to get there some day.

Will be praying for a good lab report. Blessings for a good week.

Susanne said...

Happy belated anniversary to you both! I totally agree about the pictures. They do bring memories back you didn't even realize you've forgotten. Happy celebrating!

The fiber is gorgeously colored!

Praying for good results on your tests.

Catherine said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip down memory lane. I love celebrating true love.

Your fiber is beautiful.. those colors are fantastic!

A good and kind doctor is such a blessing.

-Catherine

Karyn said...

just catching up on your blog.
These are great 'favorites'... glad you were able to get the computer glasses!
I'm happy your mom has a new roomie. Having one who was mean to her must have been a stress for you.
I feel the same way about photos (obviously...LOL)
Finally...happy anniversary (a little late)!