Monday, October 31, 2011

We Made the Weather Channel


Yes, our little corner of Pennsylvania made the national news this weekend when a freak snowstorm hit us on Saturday.  Jim Cantore, from the Weather Channel, actually came to town and was broadcasting live from our area as the snow came down.  Now remember....this was October 29, not the end of November or early December.


It was a really wet, heavy snow too, which made it particularly devastating to tree branches, fences (like our neighbor's fence seen in the distance from our backyard), and power lines).  The towns just south of us got about 10 inches of snow Saturday.  We got about 5-6 inches of snow before things tapered off and I suspect it was actually more but the weight of the snow just compacted everything down.


I kept expecting us to lose power.  The lights were flickering all day and several times they went off but came right back on.  I was working away on my computer most of the day and even when the power went off, it came back so quickly that my computer just came back up without rebooting.


We were the lucky ones.  When all was said and done, over 250,000 people in our area were without power.  Ugh!  Even our church was without power until Sunday afternoon.  Our church staff decided to cancel most of the activities and one of the services but they went ahead and had one service without power or heat and over 170 people showed up.  The heat generated was from warm hearts and good fellowship.

I got a lot of knitting done Saturday and Sunday.  It was the perfect time to snuggle under a blanket in the recliner, find some episodes of a British comedy to watch (I'm currently working my way through past seasons of the British show "The IT Crowd," and to work on winter knitting.


I finished this cowl.  The pattern is the "Nougat Cowl."  I love the colors of the yarn, don't you?  It reminds me of the changing leaves of trees in autumn (not that you'd know it, looking at the trees in my yard after our winter storm).  This wasn't a Christmas gift.  I took a quick break to knit this up for myself.  When I saw one like it at my local yarn shop and found out they had some of the same yarn available, I just had to snap up a skein and whip one up, too.  Now that it is finished, I'm working on a Boo Boo Bunny for little Luke.  His sister, Mika, reminded me that Luke didn't have a bunny of his own.  She was holding HER bunny at the time, which I had made for her when she was a newborn.  That was all the incentive I needed to get busy on some knitting for baby.

Stay warm!  Winter is obviously just around the corner.

No comments: