Thursday, January 19, 2012

How Cold is It?

Don't let the smile fool you.  I may have been smiling here but inside, I was FREEZING and couldn't wait to come back into the warm house.  I STILL hate the cold, as you who read my blog regularly know.  And yet again I find myself enduring another Northern winter.


With the temperatures dropping today, I thought it might be fun to take a look at some expressions heard over the years regarding cold weather.  Here are a few I was able to glean from memory and from perusing the Web.

1.  It's cold enough to freeze the tail off a brass monkey - there are other variations of this but I'm trying to be polite here so I'll leave the variations to your imagination.


2.  It's cold as hell - OK, this defies logic.  Since when is hell cold unless you are someone who can't stand being cold and this ends up being a devilish twist on the ultimate torment.



3.  It's cold as a witch's ___ in a brass bra - Again, trying to be G-rated, I'll leave this up to your imagination.  


4.  It's as cold as the last man's a___ on a toboggan - Brrrr!  'Nuff said.

5.  It was a three-dog night - My folks used to say this.  I think it meant that you needed three dogs on the bed in order to stay warm.

6.  It is so cold that lawyers have their hands in their own pockets - my apologies to any lawyers out there but you have to chuckle at this one.


And my personal favorite, thanks to the reminiscing of "Rango" up on the Web who reports that his granddad used to say:

7.  When I was a kid, it was so cold that my farts froze all winter.  I didn't know 'til they all thawed out next Spring and it like to killed me."


Stay warm, everyone.  I'm heading in for some hot cocoa.



1 comment:

Karyn said...

I'm laughing at that last one!

That's a heap of snow in those photos! That's not from this year, is it? Do you normally have that much snow?

We are enduring our own deep freeze around here this week. It's been slightly above or slightly below the -30C mark. (-22F) Add a wind chill in some places, and it was as cold at -50 C. (-58F). Worse, we didn't have a chance to 'climatize' since it has been springtime warm here all December and into January.

I'm trying to think of saying's I've heard to describe the cold. The only thing I can hear people say is "Oh, it's COLD!" as they clap their hands together and stomp their feet. (When they're INSIDE) LOL Probably my hubby has heard the descriptive sayings about cold - many probably wouldn't pass your G-rating, though.