Monday, July 30, 2012

Funny, You don't LOOK Native American!



My German Grandfather
I had to mail a package at our local post office today and after dropping off my package, I went to exit into the lobby.  A family was sitting by the exit door waiting to apply for passports.  They looked like they were of Indian (from India) descent.  Their youngest child was playing with the door, making it difficult to go through.  The lady in front of me grabbed him, physically moved him to the side and scolded him for being in the way.  I slid out the door behind her.

My Swiss Great-Great Grandfather
As we continued on to the building's exit, we encountered a family entering the building.  They appeared to be on Middle Eastern origin and were talking among themselves in a language other than English.  We both had to wait until they all filed through the door and then out we went.

As the lady (Caucasian, probably in her late 60's or early 70's) held the door for me, she said, "Guess we're going to have to start calling this country the 'United States of Asia.'  They're all sure flocking over here."

I looked over at her and said gently, "Why don't we just call it the 'Land of Opportunity?'"

She chuckled nervously, saying "I guess" and then scurried off to her car.

One of my Dutch ancestors

Of course, by the time I got to my car I had thought of a much better comeback.  I wanted to walk back over to her car and rap on her window to say, "Look, you don't look like a Native American so I think it's safe to say that at some point, your ancestors were immigrants to this country, too.  I know that mine were and I'm grateful for the welcome and opportunities they received.  How about we extend the same courtesies to those who come to our country today?"  

The Dutch town close to where my Dutch side came from

Oh, I know that our country has a checkered history of prejudice against immigrants to our shores.  The Irish and Chinese are examples of that.  Precedence does NOT make prejudice right, however.  We have got to wake up to the fact that America is a multicultural nation and try to work towards treating each other, regardless of ethnicity and beliefs, with respect.  That's what I'm trying to do and it annoys me that the lady at the post office would feel comfortable making a comment to me based solely on the color of my skin, my perceived economic status, and most likely my age and her snap judgement of what she thought my political leanings were.



1 comment:

Karyn said...

I like the comeback you used. Sounds like you put her in her place.

people are people....all part of the same race. The human race. Some folks are just a little slow in catching on to that fact.