Monday, September 17, 2012

Gearing Up for Crunchtime!


 It's the beginning of the final full week of babysitting help for my grandkids.  We're coming into the homestretch, although in my case, it's more like "gimping" into the homestretch.  So far, I've been to the emergency room with a suspected detached retina which turned out to be a posterior vitreous detachment and I've caught a bad cold from little Spud.  While he seems to be on the mend, my nose is still running like a sieve and I've been sneezing and coughing like crazy.

My daughter-in-law is starting a month of tough residency rotation duties so that she will rarely be home.  Since my son doesn't return from Canada until this coming weekend and since I'm feeling so horrible (I'm censoring myself here), I decided it was time to call in the cavalry (also known as "The Commander.")  Yes, my dear hubby is flying into Houston this afternoon.  I can hardly wait.  Laura's parents and I have also sat down and planned out our campaign strategy for surviving the next few days, figuring out who will watch the kids when throughout the days and nights.


Little Spud was up bright and early at 6:30 a.m. this morning.  So much for my quiet time with a hot cup of coffee.  I had started the dishwasher and that little bugger actually changed the washing cycle while it was running.  The tyke is strong.  I got him fed and clothed without waking up his sister until he found a book about animals.  His exuberant animal noises finally woke up his sis.


 "I'm watching you, Nana!" I heard from the end of the hallway.  Sure enough, little Sweet Pea was hunkered down with all of her animals watching Spud and I playing.

I eventually persuaded her to allow me to change her and get her dressed but, because she slept so late, her PJs and bedding were pretty wet.  Time to start some loads of wash.


Let's see, urine-soaked laundry, short nights, a head that feels like a bowling ball, a box of kleenex that has become my new best friend.....guess that's why, when I saw this picture of my son and some co-workers on a recent hike in the mountains of Canada, I felt like saying, "You get down from that mountain this instant.  Do you hear me?  You get back here.  We need you......NOW!"

1 comment:

Karyn said...

I'm sorry this time with your kidlettes has been so difficult. Somehow, things like a cold hit us harder when we're past 50......guess that's why we had our children when we were in our 20's and 30's, eh?

Take a rest as soon as your commander gets there!