Friday, October 29, 2010

The Good and the Not-So-Good


It's Fave Five Friday time again and I thought I'd give you a recap of some good things from my week, some ok things, and some not-so-good things this week.  Sounds like anyone's typical week, no?  Here goes:


1.  Today is the day that Schatze goes home.  She was playing hide-and-go-seek under the blanket of  Fresca the Wonder Dog this morning and I tried to get a good shot of her.  As usual, she was moving quickly so it's a little blurry.  I think Fresca will be glad to get her own bed back.  Schatze has kind of taken it over most days and evenings, even though she has a perfectly good bed right next to Fresca's bed and it is much more her size.


2.  I've really been enjoying this Caramel Apple scented hand soap.  This is a scent from Bath and Body Works and it is their Caramel Apple scent.  It's the perfect smell for this time of the year.  For some reason, I just love the foaming hand soaps although I wish they came in a version that was not anti-bacterial.  I try to avoid using those types of soaps since I think they are part of the reason we (people in general) are building up such a resistance to antibiotics.  It seems to be in everything these days.


3.  Finding a good hairspray for fine hair is always a blessing.  It's been rainy this past week and my baby-fine hair always goes limp when it rains.  Luckily my hairdresser recommended the "Hard Head" hairspray by Bed Head and it does keep the curl/style in my hair.  It also doesn't make your hair feel like a helmet.  It just gives it nice body and staying power.  I also like the "Sheer Blonde" Hold and Finishes spray by John Frieda for sunny days.  It really makes my newly blonde hair shine and brings out the highlights.


4.  I finished another pair of fingerless mittens.  These are knit from the pattern "Short n' Sweet Fingerless Mitts by Anne Sahakian.  I used some hand-dyed yarn I had been saving from an indie dyer that I've had for ages here at the house.  I really like how they came out and I still have enough yarn left over that I might be able to make a short cowl to go along with them.

5.  The "not-so-good" this week?  I found some mouse droppings in the house.  Ugh!  I guess it is that time of year when the critters start coming indoors.  Our dog has been sniffing around the base of our stove and I just figured that perhaps some food had fallen under it.  But that is where I found the droppings this morning.  Darn.  Now I'm thinking she might be smelling mice.  I haven't seen a mouse in several years here although we have them in the garage attic.  Guess it is time to lay out the traps since we no longer have cats.  Strangely enough, I am less freaked out by mice than I am by the sight of a box-elder bug.  Go figure!

If you'd like to write about your own Friday's Fave Five, visit Susanne's blog at Living to Tell the Story.  She hosts us each Friday and it's a great way to reflect back over your past week or to focus on the week to come.

7 comments:

Jerralea said...

I live surrounded by fields so have to keep traps out for mice. Yuk!

Thanks for the heads up on the Bed Head spray. I'll give it a try.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Cute dog. And the hand soap sounds good enough to eat. LOL Love those mittens. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thought
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2010/10/fridays-fave-five.html

Karyn said...

Mmmmm...the thought of taking Carmel Apple scents with you everywhere is quite appetizing. I'm with you, though, on the anti-bacterial thing. I try to avoid them for the same reason. I did, however, bring some on my trip - and I've used it, too, in certain circumstances.

The mittens.....cool 'cuff'! And I think the color is really nice, too! Unique.

My sympathies on the mouse droppings.....mice are a constant battle at my house. They are probably taking over right now since fall is the time they move on in - more than normal and I am not there to man the front lines so to speak.

Good luck on getting rid of the nasty critters.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Love those gloves!

Time for the traps, huh? (Yuck!)

Have a great week ahead.

Brenda said...

Those fingerless mittens are really cute! I need some, I guess I should just try to make them.

I know what you mean about mice. . . .

Lisa notes... said...

Yes, we all have those “typical” weeks of good and not-so-good things. Caramel Apple soap? I would probably love that. Love those mittens! You are so talented.

Mouse-droppings – yeah, definitely not good. I thought I saw some last night, but ended up being fuzz. Whew. Hope you catch your mice soon.

Susanne said...

That hand soap sounds like it smells wonderful. Is it bath and body? And I'm so keeping an eye out for that hairspray.