Thursday, November 25, 2010

Looking for a Loop in the Donut Hole

Happy Thanksgiving to All!   On this day when I traditionally overeat, I thought it might be a good time to confess that I have fallen off the donut wagon.  Yes, I had successfully been donut-free for almost 2 years and then, in one wonderful bite (well, maybe MORE than one bite) I undid all that great work.

It's amazing how easy it is to fall right back into an addiction.  My "Waterloo" are glazed white-cream filled donuts.  Just like an alcoholic, you tell yourself that you can manage it....you can eat just one and then go right back to a "no-donut" policy.  Heck, I'm here to tell you that it just isn't so.   One bite leads to two donuts which lead to a week of lunches consisting of 4 donuts at each lunch.  But in my defense, a donut lunch IS a very efficient lunch.  Typically, I am running around like a dervish on the days that I go to visit my mum in the nursing home.  By the time I can eat lunch, it is already 2 p.m.  The last thing I want to do is come home and take the time to fix a healthy lunch.  It's so much easier to swing by the store, grab a bag of donuts and then head home, sit down with a good book and voila!  Twenty minutes of sheer culinary bliss with NO waiting time from the minute I walk in the door.

But I know I have to claw my way back on the wagon if I want to continue my weight loss journey so I've tucked my cream-filled donut demon back into the closet again.  I've been donut free for 5 days now.  Boy, do I miss them.  According to my "rules,"  I can still eat other sugary treats but NOT donuts so there is some light for me as a sugar addict.  Well, time for me to go cube bread for the Thankgiving dinner.  No donuts on the menu today though!

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Are you still donut free?