Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Toddler-Proof Lift-the-Flap Books


I worked in public libraries before I worked in a college library.  Part of my duties involved time spent in the children's section of those libraries.  One of the first things you realize when you are working with children's books is the fact that "lift-the-flap" books will NEVER come back unscathed.  Whoever invented those types of books had a cute idea.  Children LOVE to lift flaps and discover things underneath those flaps.  However, they also love to tear off those flaps.  It's just inevitable.  So it was no surprise to me when I observed my little granddaughter enthusiastically ripping off the interactive flaps on her little storybooks.


I happened to be working on putting together a fabric book for her sewn from pre-printed fabric story frames.  Hmmm, was there a way to modify the book to indulge her love of lifting flaps while keeping those flaps intact?





 I decided to cut out some felted wool squares and sew them securely over key pictures on the pages.  If you wanted to try this yourself, you could use other fabric such as batik cloth, which is densely woven and not prone to unraveling or a heavy felt.


All you have to do is decide what you want to cover and then cut out your flap big enough to cover the picture you want to hide.  Then sew it securely on the top edge only so that baby can lift up the flap easily.


Here's a little bird hiding under a flap, just waiting to be discovered.  Of course, half the fun is for the reader or child to provide the sound effects of the bird when the flap is lifted.


This little mouse is just waiting to squeak a "hello" when its flap is lifted up.  I'll be taking this little book with me when I go off to visit my granddaughter and I'll be sure to give you a full report on whether or not it passes the "childproof" test.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Did you make the whole book or just modify it?

This is a great idea!