Tuesday, June 08, 2010

And Off They Go

Today Jason and his family, including my beloved little Mika, headed off to Asia, to what could be a three-year adventure.  I've been dreading this day for a long time.  But now that it is here, well, we make the best of it, don't we?  Sometimes we just have to place our children in God's hands and stand back out of the way.


To keep my mind occupied, I unpacked my new Schacht Cricket loom.  It came unassembled but ready to put together.  However, I had decided to stain it before assembling the parts.  So I put newspaper down, put on an old shirt, and started my staining.


Here is what it looked like last night when I had all the pieces stained with an English Chestnut stain.  I thought it was looking pretty good.  Tonight I started applying the first coat of polyurethane on the pieces.  Oh my!  I carefully laid each piece back down on the newspaper and worked methodically away at it.  When I went back to my first piece to check on it, I discovered to my horror that each piece was stuck to the newspaper.  Ugh!  We had to pull each piece off and then I had to sand the pieces of newsprint off that were stuck to the wood.  So out came the wax paper and I tried again.  Looks like this is going to be a longer process than I originally anticipated.

When it's finished and put together, the loom will look like this, but stained.  I don't guarantee that my weaving will initially look like this.  In fact, I think I CAN guarantee that it will NOT look like this.   But there will be plenty of room for improvement.

Speaking of improvement, my day greatly improved this morning when I met two dear friends for breakfast and we laughed and talked and laughed some more.  They really cheered me up.  Friends are really a blessing, aren't they?  My "Project 365" picture today was taken at breakfast but only one friend would agree to be in the picture (although the other one's hand can be seen).

Project 365 - June 8 (Day 12)

2 comments:

knit wit said...

That has got to be difficult. My daughter, I think, is headed to a direction of being a career missionary teacher in Latin America or South America. Right now she is 19 and in Mexico with missionarries doing an internship. My hubby has a hard time with this. She only corresponds/scype 1 X per week (her ususal even when in college). SHe is happy and if this is what God calls her to then who are we to interfere. It is our responsibility to pray for them to have direction, wisdom, discernment.
It sounds like you are very supportive of their adult decisions. It is such a short time that we have some control over their choices and then hopefully, God will have such a strong influence in their lives they follow His direction! I am so glad He sees the whole picture!

coffeewoman said...

Dee, It's hard to be away from family. The best advice I can is to stay close to the ones that are close by and stay as closely connected to Jason and Laura. My prayers to you.