Monday, June 21, 2010

Working for Peanuts


Another day, another marathon session at the computer entering items on Ebay.  Here's a sample of some of the fun things I found today.  The mug above was a commemorative mug made to celebrate the opening of Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore operetta and it was made in 1879.  I always thought it was just a pretty glass that my mom had.  Who knew?


This little jam server isn't any fancy name brand porcelain item but I thought it was very sweet.  Somebody hand-painted those little blueberry sprigs on each side.


This is a cuticle scissors that was art of a Bakelite vanity set my mother owned.  Over the years the rest of the set has gotten broken and/or misplaced but this little scissors has survived. 

I worked all day long photographing items and then researching them and describing them up on Ebay.  Then my work was still not finished.  I had to box them up.  My brother couldn't believe that I had managed to use up all the packing peanuts in a huge box before he came home from work today.  In fact, I had to text him to stop at the UPS store and buy more.

He came home with these.  But wait.....lest you think THIS is a lot of peanuts, there are actually more than meet the eye.


The bag is actually THIS tall.  That's a LOT of peanuts!


Somehow I think I won't have any problem going through them before I leave.  My brother is already complaining about running out of room to store the boxed items until the auctions end.


He's been putting them down in his basement in his exercise room.  When I went down there to see how he was arranging them, this is what I found.


And this!  "What kind of a system do you have to retrieve them?," I asked him.



"You didn't tell me I had to come up with a way to FIND them," he said. 

Oh, my.  I predict he is going to be looking through a lot of boxes when those auction items begin to sell.  Good thing I've put a paper in each box listing the item and the Ebay number.  But he still is going to have to open each box and look inside unless he comes up with a better system.

In the meantime, since I'm working for peanuts, this "elephant" is heading to bed to do some reading and sleeping.  Tomorrow I'm taking some time off to head over to The Spinning Loft.  More on that later.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

sI love the HMS pinafore cup! Very cool.

Hope you're having a good time with your brother and that everything sells profitably!

I can't believe one person had so many hats, though! She must be one sharp dresser.