Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fevers, Doors, and Distractions


Day Eight with the grandkids and it started off with me feeling guilty for sleeping in.  I woke to the dulcet sounds of stereo fussing and when I looked at my clock it was almost 8:45 a.m.  Oh, oh....time to rally the troops and give Momma some help.

When I got out to the kitchen, Spud and Sweet Pea were both being a little cranky so we all pitched in and cheered them up.  Soon there were smiles and pretend games to play and blocks to throw and all was right in the world once again.


Things were going well enough later in the morning that Laura and I headed off to the mall with the kidlets so that I could take my iPad to the Apple store to have the genius squad (or whatever they are called) take a look at it to see why it tends to discharge so quickly.  Laura was going to see about getting a new phone while I was occupied with Apple.  MY problem didn't take long to diagnose.  I had all sorts of programs open on the iPad (which I was NOT aware of) thanks to the latest ability of these devices to multitask between apps.  I had never known how to go from one app to the other without closing one app (so I thought) and then opening the other.  Turns out I was NOT closing them and they had been running in the background all this time.  I was thrilled to find out how to switch back and forth AND how to now close these apps both on my iPad and my iPhone.


Mission accomplished!  I headed over to join Laura and found her deep in her phone transaction.  Little Sweet Pea was getting fussy and Laura had her hands full with Spud, too so I took over Sweet Pea's care.  While Mom got her OWN new iPhone, I showed Sweet Pea how you could switch the camera on MY iPhone to reverse to see yourself.  She was really tickled and I snapped some pics of her delight.

When the new phone was all set up and paperwork signed, we all headed over to the Food Court.  That was when disaster struck.  Sweet Pea started feeling horrible.  She had a total meltdown and neither Chick-Fil-A nuggets nor Mom nor Nana could help.  Spud added his fussiness to the mix and soon it was clear that little Sweet Pea needed to get home.  Her head was hurting and she was really feeling hot.    It's a horrible feeling to see a little one suffering and being inconsolable and not know how to help them other than to just be there for them.  I sat beside her once we got home and watched Baby Einstein  with her and Momma sat with her when I wasn't who she wanted and between all of us, she finally started to feel better later in the afternoon.


In the meantime, No. 1 son had taped up his Craig's List find doors and was painting them.  These will be installed inside to close off his study.


He got both of these French doors for a very good price on Craig's List and a friend is going to help him install them once they are painted and ready to go.


They are already looking much nicer with a coat of fresh paint on them and another coat scheduled to be applied once this coat dries.


'Nammy (Grandma #2) arrived around suppertime with a very welcome meal of brisket and chicken and that, coupled with the pumpkin muffins that Laura had made in the afternoon, had us all feeling much improved.


I played "Cows" with little Spud and then taught the kidlets an Indian drumming/war hoop song for more rain  (although Sweet Pea wasn't too sure what in the world I was doing).


We ended the day with lots of books on the iPad.  Sweet Pea was insistent that we read certain books over and over (if I "pat the bunny" one more time tonight, I'll probably be tempted to give him a good, swift kick instead).  Laura and I looked at each other at one point and said, "What time is it?  It feels like it's 10 p.m."
It wasn't even 7 p.m. yet.  I thought to myself, "It has to be 10 p.m. somewhere.  Bedtime for Bonzo!"  I think we'll sleep well tonight.......if the kidlets will let us.  If I was a betting Nana, I don't think I'd take that to the bank.


1 comment:

Karyn said...

Spending so much time with the little ones really drives home the reason our 'childbearing years' are when we are YOUNG, doesn't it? LOL.

Jim commented the other day (after listening to our live-in grandbaby fuss for a long time) that he could never have babies now. This coming from the most patient daddy of 5 ever! Patience and physical endurance seem to dwindle in direct proportion to the advancement of age. :)

I've said it before...."Grammas aren't supposed to be Mommies"