Thursday, April 05, 2012

Lost in Translation?


I was looking over some desserts on the Pinterest site (and if you aren't familiar with Pinterest, you are in for a treat....but that's a topic for another blog posting) and found one for a "Pink Lemonade Dessert with Pretzel Crust" that sounded promising.  You see, I have been tasked with bringing the dessert down to my daughter's house for Easter dinner.    Anyway, I clicked on the link and it took me to the original recipe posting.  Oh, oh....it was in Spanish.  I thought that maybe I could translate most of it but I wasn't entirely confident in my Espanol skills and I didn't want to screw it up.  My son-in-law's parents will be there and in matters of in-laws, you don't want to bring a dud to the dinner table.  Not to worry, though.  My browser had a nice little button that asked, "Do you want me to translate this?"

"Sure, " I thought.  "Why not?"

At first glance, it looked like the translation worked great.  Then I took a closer look.  Hmmm, one of the ingredients was a "container of frozen whipped cream vegetable."  Well, I had some Cool Whip on hand and I DID have a bag of carrots.  If I anointed a few carrot sticks, would that suffice?


I read further.  The rest of the ingredients looked ok.  Now I was into the preparation instructions.  Right away, I figured I had either run into another problem OR baking in Spanish-speaking countries was NOT for wimps.  The instructions told me to chop pretzels and sugar up in my blender and then add butter, light the pipe, arm wrestling to mix well.  Uh, I couldn't find any pipes lying around but I checked out my blender for the best possible handhold for the arm wrestling part.

After the arm wrestling with the blender, the instructions told me to "Press the bark into a glass mold."  Unfortunately, Fresca the Wonder Dog has passed on so I have no bark to press into anything these days.


Now came the part where I was to mix up the filling.  I got the general gist of it (although there WAS that vegetable cream again) until I got to the final part.  I was to pour the remaining cream over a mixture of vegetable lemonade.  Darn!  I didn't have any of that on hand.  All I had was some Arnold Palmer lemonade ice tea.  Maybe I could chuck in some chopped onions or diced carrots to come up with this mysterious lemonade?

All of this interpreting was making my head hurt so I finally decided to regroup and stick with an old, trusty recipe for my killer rum cake.  That always results in sweet goodness that needs no translation, gracias a Dios!

No comments: